The Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development (rgniyd), Sriperumbudur, Tamil Nadu, is an Institute of National Importance by an Act of Parliament No. 35/2012 under the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports, Government of India. The RGNIYD was set up in 1993 under the Societies Registration Act, XXVII of 1975.
The RGNIYD functions as a vital resource centre with its multi-faceted functions of offering academic programmes at Post Graduate level encompassing various dimensions of youth development, engaging in seminal research in the vital areas of youth development and coordinating Training Programmes for state agencies and the officials of youth organisation, besides the Extension and Outreach initiatives across the country.
The Institute functions as a think-tank of the Ministry and premier organization of youth-related activities in the country. As the apex institute at the national level, it works in close cooperation with the NSS, NYKS and other youth organizations in the implementation of training programmes. The Institute is a nodal agency for training youth as a facilitator of youth development activities in rural, urban as also tribal areas.
The RGNIYD serves as a youth observatory and depositary in the country thereby embarking on youth surveillance on youth-related issues. It has a wide network with various organizations working for the welfare and development of young people and serves as a mentor.
As the apex national agency for youth development, the Institute strives to develop into a globally recognised and acclaimed centre of academic excellence in the field of youth development, fully responsive to the national agenda for inclusive growth, and the needs and aspirations of young people of the country to realise their potentials to create a just society.
The Institute seeks to realise its Vision by:
- Providing substantive inputs in the formulation of youth-related policies and in developing innovative programme initiatives that respond effectively to the needs and concerns of the young people of the country;
- Developing professional capacity of all youth development agencies in the country - state-sponsored or voluntary organisations - through training and specialised services, such as: consultancies, and providing expertise and training materials for in-house training programmes;
- Setting up a world-class and modern Resource Centre that will provide library and other related services and facilities to those involved in youth-related activities - youth organisations, educational and training institutions, researchers, scholars, and young people
- Generating authentic and comprehensive primary and secondary data on all issues and matters that impact the life of the young people in the country through a systematic and extensive programme of action research and study;
The Institute Works to Enhance International Co-operation on all Issues Related to Youth Development By:
- Establishing productive and enduring relationship with international organisations engaged in youth-related activities; and with national youth development bodies of other countries, especially in the Asian region;
- Organising joint programmes and projects that benefit young people across the globe;
- Working to build consensus on youth-related issues;
- Offering training, consistent with international standards and curriculum, to participants from other countries in youth development areas.
- Establishing and nurturing a national network of youth development agencies and promoting co-operation and collaboration among them;
- Providing a forum to young people of the country and other involved organisations and individuals for dialogue, consultation, and exchange of views on matters and issues impacting the life of the young people in the country;
- Developing necessary expertise and proficiency of the professional personnel of the Institute to make them active partners in establishing it as the centre of excellence in youth development.
Objectives of RGNIYD
- To evolve as an Institute of advanced study in the field of youth development.
- To undertake action and applied research
- To empower youth to participate in inclusive development and nation building
- To provide higher education in the field of youth development
- To carry out policy research, evaluation and impact analysis of youth programmes
The Mandate of RGNIYD
- To function as a Resource Agency and Think –Tank for youth programs, policies and implementation strategies.
- To develop multi-faceted – programmes for youth keeping in view of the social harmony and national unity as the ultimate objective
- To grow and develop as a facilitator and nodal agency for youth training, youth work, and youth development in the country for rural, urban as well as tribal youth.
- To function as an Institute of advanced study in the field of youth and to develop such professional excellence as may be required for the purpose.
- To develop its programmes aimed at inculcating a sense of national pride, awareness of national goals and internalization of national values among the youth workers
- To develop new ideas and innovative programme for motivating and creating a committed cadre of youth workers and functionaries.
- To promote and conduct action and user based applied research and evaluation studies in youth development and through this provide necessary thrust to youth programmes on systematic and scientific lines.
- To function as Center for Information Publication and Documentation pertaining to youth Development
- To provide Institutional training for the personnel working in the field of youth
- To provide appropriate youth extension projects and services which can function as laboratory on youth work.
- To link its programmes and functions to the promotion of National Youth Policy.